Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jack is coming to visit

And Frost is his last name. The previous owners of the house, had many kooky ideas, the corks in the floor, broken windows stuffed with rags, and of course duct tape on broken window panes. Slowly I'll be going around the house replacing these panes one by one. There are a lot of panes that need to be replaced. So these are old fashion windows that have weights that help them slide open and closed and run inside on tracks. I watched my dad take the window out and re-glaze while growing up but never had to tackle it myself till now. I found a lot of really great how-to's online from This Old House to Domino Magazine(!) Its rather easy actually, a glazing putty is used and these cool little triangles keep the glass in place. A quick coat of paint and the window is good as new, but the window sill is another thing.....


1 comment:

Marilyn said...

For fixing rotted windowsills and other architectural features that can't be replaced use this amazing product. I love it and have had great results with it. http://www.abatron.com/cms/buildingandrestorationproducts/woodrestorationmaintenance.html
(I am not affiliated with this company!)
Have you guys seen HouseBlogs.net? Check it out. You may want to join.
Marilyn
www.hauserhaus.blogspot.com